Another experimentation with a classic baked oats. It contains 40g of protein*, and is loaded with vitamins and fibre. This one is based around ‘Zoats’ which is zucchini oats (courgette for us Brits). Please don’t run away now I’ve told you it has courgette in. Honestly, it’s great. It basically disappears in to all the chocolatey goodness, leaving you with all the fibre & vitamins. Think Carrot Cake, or Courgette Cake. Same concept. If you like carrot cake oats, you’ll love this. If you haven’t tried carrot cake oats then get on my Instagram, there’s a really easy recipe on there and it’s sooooo worth it. Gluten Free & Vegan alternatives in the ingredients cos gotta love the plants.
For this dish of high protein chocolate breakfast you’ll need:
- 40-50g oats
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein (I use Form Nutrition Chocolate Salted Caramel, it’s a plant blend)
- 1 tbsp cocoa/cacao (which ever you prefer, I use whatever I have in the cupboard which is usually basic cocoa)
- 1 egg (or chia egg)
- 2 egg whites (this is optional and is only there for extra protein, you can either leave it out, or replace with extra chia – I use Two Chicks Liquid Egg Whites)
- 1/3 courgette, grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional – if you aren’t a massive fan of protein powder like me, this is a good option)
- 100ml plant milk (I use Innocent Hazelnut Milk)
Pre heat the oven to 180C fan.
Combine the oats, cinnamon (if using) and grated courgette. Add the eggs and whites (if using).
In a separate bowl (sorry for the extra faff but this step really makes a difference – you can just mix everything all together but if you have time, try this step out), combine the protein powder and cocoa, gradually add the milk, whisking with a fork until you get a thick paste (you won’t need all the milk).
Add the paste to the oat/egg mix, stir through, then add the remaining milk. I like to add a tsp of chia seeds too because they add essential fats which I try to keep high in my diet, it’s totally up to you though – those of you with hormone imbalances, you feel me.
Pour in to an oven proof dish and bake for 10-15 minutes until a crust forms around the edge. Allow to stand for a few minutes out the oven.
I top mine with 100g Skyr Vanilla yoghurt, fresh raspberries & a grating of dark chocolate. Go mad, add whatever you want.
*40g of protein when using 50g oats, 1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1 scoop protein powder & 100g skyr yoghurt.